Thursday 10 December 2009

Sunshine (or the lack thereof)

When we arrived here in August, there was a heatwave going on, and you couldn't have asked for better weather. And then November arrived. It is well known for being the most miserable and depressing month of the year in Sweden and having lived through one I can now understand why. This November was apparently worse than usual - Stockholm had a total of 17.5 hours of sunshine in the whole month, which equals just 35 minutes per day. And when you consider that there were a couple of sunny mornings with more than their fair share, you can imagine how many days went by without any sunshine at all.
Add the grey clouds to the rapidly shortening days, and it does sometimes feel like the day never really got light at all.
Happily we are only a couple of weeks off the shortest day and then perhaps things will start to improve. Today, sunrise was at 8.33am and sunset at 2.48pm and there's only another 15 minutes of daylight to be lost before the turn around, so I feel like we've almost made it through the worst! Plus, by the time we get back from our trip to the uk we'll be 12 minutes up on where we are right now.
Roll on Spring....

2 comments:

  1. Might be worth looking into getting one of those Lumiere alarm clocks? I know a lot of friends in Scotland seemed to find that helped. Nearly the shortest day! Now you see why Pagans made such a big celebration of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking at something like that the other day actually - mentioned it to D but he said I don't need an alarm clock with a light, I need one with a hammer! I'm so not a morning person at the best of times...
    But I will have to get something before next November, not sure I can survive another one otherwise.
    And I definitely agree that a big celebration is called for!

    ReplyDelete